Strömsbruk’s history 1
As early as 1672 the iron-works in Ströms Bruk received it’s royal privileges. Hans Behm set up a tilt-hammer at an old sawmill site and the rest, as they say, is history.
By the end of the 17th century the works got into financial troubles and the notorious money lender Johan Lohe took over the business.
Lohe died in 1700. In the beginning of that century access to coal was scarce so the former smelter closed down but two hammers remained.
In 1787 the Tersmeden family took over ownership and another hammer was established. Business was booming and the ironworks finally saw its peak in 1888.
In 1889 however, the iron epoque came to an end – the new focus was on the forest industry.